Not Your Lab Rat
We all love our makeup products and skin care, but what if I told you that your favorite products cost hundreds of thousands of innocent animals their lives. Animal testing is dangerous and cruel. Therefore animal testing needs to be put to a stop.
Animal testing is harmful and even deadly. Every year, more than 100 million animals are killed in United States labs by animal tests. For many of these tests, animals are given extremely high doses of products and chemicals by eye skin contact, force feeding, and inhalation. These animals then experience severe pain all over their bodies before dying or being killed.
Animal testing is also not being dealt with as it should be. There a far too little laws in place to protect animals from these harsh tests. The most relevant law, The AWA (Animal Welfare Act), allows for only the minimalist protection. The AWA only provides protection for about 5% of test subjects, and no protection for the other 95% of subjects.
Yes, some may say that animal testing is necessary to make sure that products are safe for human use, and that is understandable. However, there are more humane ways to test products and drugs, such as computerized drug databases and virtual trials. In many of these scientific trials the tests are more reliable than the animal tests. Non- animal tests are also more practical and cost less. The tests using animals can cost up to millions of dollars and can take up to five years, whereas scientific trails cost a fraction and can be tested in as little as a week.
In conclusion, animal testing is morally unacceptable and dangerous. Also the amount of laws and bans in place are insufficient. Testing by using scientific trials is also a better alternative to animal testing.