How The Death Penalty is Necessary
In 2003, 74% of people favor the death penalty for convicted killers. I think the death penalty is necessary. It’s necessary because if a criminal gets life in prison they have their whole life there and can commit many other crimes. In order to get the death penalty, there should be a ton of evidence stacked against you, you confess, or you failed the polygraph test on the questions about killing. Some people think that rapists should get sentenced to death. I disagree because I believe the trade off should be a life for a life, as in you end a life, your life ends.
In 2004, only 65% of Death Row inmates were actually executed. The other 35% got to enjoy talking to their family, laughing, and being free. If we keep the death penalty, the crime rate would not be as high because they would know that they could be executed. Being executed is okay but life in prison would violate the Eighth Amendment which says “no cruel or unusual punishments.” Being forced to die in prison seems pretty cruel to me. It seems cruel because you have to die in harsh living conditions without family, friends, or loved ones with you. I don’t believe that the death penalty is cruel or unusual because dying with a last meal also ends the pain more quickly.
According to an anonymous city official, opponents of the death penalty may say that it can’t be applied fairly. People are wrongly convicted on Death Row so putting innocent people to death is a bad idea. In order to put someone on trial and sentence he/she to death there should be huge amounts of evidence. For example, forensic, geological, and physical evidence can be used in trial. Other opponents think the death penalty is inhumane. It is more humane than spending the rest of your life behind bars. The death penalty ends the pain quickly rather than letting it stretch over a long period of time. Prisoners have to eat disgusting food, prisoners being scared and yelling at you, and guards yelling at you. You have to be more aware of contraband because most people in prison are snitches.
The death penalty should be used. I understand that the last meal will make it humane but I feel like that is too much luxury for a serial killer, a murderer of a politician, or murderer well renowned person. If you are one of those people then you do not deserve a last meal. If you are a murderer of one person, then you deserve a last meal. Unless that person killed a politician or someone famous. Death row inmates are still evil but these people do not affect the whole of the United States.
That is why we need the death penalty and why not everyone should get a last meal before execution. All and all we need the death penalty for murderers so they don’t commit crimes again.